These muesli bars are chewy like the store bought variety but significantly more nourishing. Packed with nuts and seeds and a delicate sweetness from the dried fruit and honey, they contain all the goodness and none of the nasties. They make an excellent snack for kids and adults alike and are particularly great for breastfeeding mummas, to help them meet their additional energy needs.
2 cups raw nut mix chopped
1 cup shredded/flaked coconut
1/2 cup dried apricots chopped
1/2 cup sultanas (or cranberries, but note high sugar content in dried cranberries)
1/2 cup buckwheat or oats (use GF oats to keep gluten free)
1/2 cup quinoa flakes
1/2 cup LSA
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla extract
1tbsp flax mixed with 3 tbsp water OR 1 egg, lightly beaten
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup honey (may want to increase to 1/2 cup if you prefer it a little sweeter) (may use maple syrup instead)
2 tbsp chia seeds (combined with 1 cup water and left for approximately 15 minutes to form gel)
100g 70% dark chocolate (optional)
- Grease and line regular slab/slice tin. Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Combine all dry ingredients.
- Heat honey and coconut oil in a pan until melted and combined.
- Add chia gel to dry ingredients and combine.
- Add honey/coconut oil mix plus flaxseed/egg and vanilla extract to dry ingredients and mix well to combine.
- Press mixture into tin and cook for 45 minutes in oven or until dark brown colour.
- Allow to cool in tin then cut into muesli bars.
- If using, melt chocolate in a bowl over another bowl of hot water. Drizzle chocolate across the top, and dip bottoms in, if you have enough. Store in refrigerator.